East Greenwich Historic Preservation Society
Our headquarters: the Old Kent County Jail, 110 King St., East Greenwich
When the Colonel Micah Whitmarsh House, the Brick House, at 294 Main Street, East Greenwich, was to be razed to make way for a parking lot, a number of the townsfolk foresaw what the future could hold. Already the Old Town Hall had disappeared and a number of lovely old houses had been demolished to make way for nondescript purposes. The whole character of the town was going to change if this were allowed to continue.
In 1967 the East Greenwich Preservation Society was formed, primarily to acquire and save the Brick House. The building was refurbished, financed with money obtained from dues, donations, grants and bank loans, and became a working asset of the town.
In 1969 the “Old Kent County Jail” at 110 King Street was scheduled to be torn down or moved to change the traffic pattern on Water Street. The Society rallied in support of the Jail, purchased the structure and it remains on its original site as the headquarters of the East Greenwich Historic Preservation Society.
Your membership and participation are the most
important parts of our organization! Join Today!
- Encouraging the protection and preservation of buildings, neighborhoods, documents, photographs and items of historic significance.
- Monthly programs which are open and free to the public.
- Continued restoration of the Old Jail.
- Sponsoring programs that foster community growth.
- Publishing The Packet, a newsletter with in-depth history of the Town.
- Participating in educational and civic events.
Help Protect and Preserve the History of
East Greenwich, Rhode Island!
Support Us When You Shop on Amazon!
1. Visit Smile.Amazon.com. It's just like shopping on their regular site.
2. Sign in. You can use your existing Amazon account or create a new one.
3. Start shopping. After you've chosen us as your charity (East Greenwich Historic Preservation Society) your shopping will be the same as on Amazon. Please note: purchases made on Amazon.com do not support us, so please be sure that you shop on Smile.Amazon.com